This recipe is more a guide than an actual recipe. Yes, this is an excuse to be inaccurate with the quantities. The results will be great, give or take reasonable amounts of any ingredient. You can also use pre-made broth if you can find a good one.
Smoked pork, mushroom, ginger & cabbage soup
- ~1 kg smoked pork (bacon) bones
- enough water to cover the bones
- ~3 litres smoked pork broth
- ~300 g mixed mushrooms (I used oyster, shiitake and black)
- 1x 5cm piece ginger
- 1/4 savoy cabbage
- ~2 tbsp tamari
To serve, optional
- boiled eggs *
- Place bones in slow cooker, cover with water and cook in low 12-24 hours. Enjoy the smell in the process.
- Drain the broth. If your bones are meaty enough, separate the meat and keep for serving in the soup.
- Slice ginger, mushrooms and cabbage.
- Bring broth to a boil, add ginger, cook for 10 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, cook for another 10 minutes.
- Add cabbage, cook for another 10 minutes.
- Turn off heat, add tamari and adjust seasoning.
- Serve with boiled eggs and/or reserved meat.
* I opted for soft-boiled eggs and was too impatient to wait for them to cool down before peeling, hence the terrible presentation in the photo.
If you need nutrition advice, click here to check out our range of available services.