We’re not big on egg salads in Perú. Yes, we have “huevos a la Rusa” (Russian-style eggs, a spin of the classic Olivier salad) but not the typical chopped egg salad as it’s known in the anglo world. Now that I’m doing the AltShift experiment, egg salad has entered my breakfast menu.
I made the mayonnaise with organic avocado oil, which gave it a very cool green colour as you can see in the photo below.
This is a basic recipe with cucumber. There are infinite variations to this recipe; I’ll be posting more in the future.
Egg & cucumber salad
- 2 hard-boiled eggs + 3 hard-boiled yolks (or 3 hard-boiled eggs)
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise see below
- 1 Lebanese cucumber
- salt and pepper
- dill, to serve
Mayonnaise (makes about 1.5 cups)
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 250 ml avocado or macadamia oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- If you have never made mayonnaise before, check out some YouTube videos before proceeding.
- Put the egg yolks, lemon juice and mustard in a food processor or blender.
- Start the motor and slowly pour the oil in a thin stream.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Chop the eggs.
- Peel and slice the cucumber.
- Mix all the ingredients, garnish with dill.
If you need nutrition advice, click here to check out our range of available services.