Yes, vegan. Before you think I’m crazy for bastardising one of my national dishes, let me explain. I made this version for an assignment for which I had to modify a recipe for social (i.e. religious, ethical, etc.) reasons. I thought of causa because I know people make vegetarian versions all the time (not me, I love it with seafood) but I have never seen a vegan version out there. Not only I had to ditch the main protein, but also the eggs used as garnish and in the mayo. I combined a few vegan soy-free mayonnaise recipes I found online and the result was awesome! Also so much easier to make than regular mayo. I served this vegan causa to a bunch of friends and everyone (including Alvaro) liked it.
- 8 floury potatoes (1500g)
- 4 tbsp ají amarillo (Peruvian yellow chilli) paste (60ml)
- juice of 4 limes
- 4 tbsp macadamia oil (60ml)
- 1/2 cup (80g) finely chopped red onion
- 500 g white mushrooms
- 1 tbsp olive oil (15ml)
- vegan mayonnaise (see below)
- 1 ripe avocado
- 4 g salt
- 8 black (preferably botija) olives (20g)
- 1 heart of palm (65g)
- 3/8 cup raw cashews (50g)
- 2 tbsp avocado oil (30ml)
- 2 tbsp water (30ml)
- juice of 1/4 lemon
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar (4ml)
- 1/4 tsp salt (1g)
- 1/4 tsp mustard powder (1g)
- cherry tomatoes
- Blend the mayonnaise ingredients.
- Place the chopped onion in a small bowl with the juice of 1 lime and season lightly with salt. Set aside to marinate while the potatoes cook.
- Cook and mash the potatoes, let cool down. Mix with chilli paste, juice of 3 limes, macadamia oil and salt.
- Slice mushrooms and sautée in olive oil. Let cool down, mix with mayonnaise (method below).
- Oil a ring mold. Press half of the mashed potato mixture into the bottom of the pan. Cover with the mushroom mixture in a smooth layer. Top with slices of avocado. Layer the other half of the potato mixture on top and smooth the potatoes with the back of a spoon. Top with slices of heart of palm and olives.
- Serve chilled with lettuce leaves and cherry tomatoes.
If you need nutrition advice, click here to check out our range of available services.