This is a quick weekday recipe that combines two of my favourite things in winter: soup and fennel. Add one of my favourite things regardless of the season (i.e. pork, in the form of ham) and you have a rounded meal for 4.
Fennel & apple soup with ham
- 2 large (or 4 small) fennel bulbs
- 1/2 onion
- 1/2 apple
- 2 tbsp ghee or fat of choice
- 4 cups chicken or beef broth
- 1 1/2 tsp rosemary salt (or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary + 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 380 g good quality ham preferably not sliced
- Slice fennel, onion and apple.
- Heat ghee in a pot, throw in the fennel, onion and apple and cook until soft and slightly caramelised, approximately 20 minutes.
- Add broth and rosemary salt (or rosemary and salt).
- Blend the soup with a stick blender or in a regular blender in batches. Adjust seasoning.
- Dice ham and serve on top of soup.
If you need nutrition advice, click here to check out our range of available services.