No fancy story behind this dish. I was browsing Feather and Bone‘s weekly list to order meat and noticed they had speck ends for cooking. They are cheaper than bacon and ham, and come from the same top-quality piggies. Mega win.
Speck, beef & mushrooms
- 1 kg beef mince
- 500 g speck ends cut in chunks
- 2 onions sliced
- 2 bulbs fennel sliced
- 1 tbsp lard optional
- 500 g mushrooms
- 1/2 tsp rosemary salt or 1/8 tsp dried rosemary + 3/8 salt
- 1/2 tsp sage salt or 1/8 tsp dried sage + 3/8 salt
- freshly ground pepper
- roasted Brussel sprouts, to serve
- Brown speck at medium-high heat in a heavy-bottomed pot. Remove with slotted spoon, keep fat in the pot.
- Brown beef mince. Reserve and keep fat in the pot.
- Turn heat to low, add onions and fennel, stir to coat with the fat (you can add a tablespoon of lard if your speck didn't render too much fat), put the lid on and cook for 30 minutes.
- Add speck and beef mince, mix and cook for 1 hour.
- Add mushrooms, mix and cook for 1 hour.
- Season with herbed salts (or herbs + salt) and pepper.
- Serve with roasted Brussel sprouts.
If you need nutrition advice, click here to check out our range of available services.