Roasted zucchini hummus is another alternative recipe for those looking for a lower carb version than the traditional one made with chickpeas. It’s a great way to use up surplus zucchini.
You can eat enjoy roasted zucchini hummus as a dip or as a proper meal with optional toppings (there’s a list of suggestions below). This recipe is lower in protein than the traditional chickpea-based version, so make sure you are eating some protein with it.
Roasted zucchini hummus
- 1 large zucchini (a.k.a. squash)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 tbsp tahini
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- extra virgin olive oil
- ground paprika
- chopped parsley
- spiced lamb
- pine nuts
- cooked chickpeas
- cooked lentils
- boiled eggs
- vegetable sticks
- pita bread
- Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced).
- Peel and cube zucchini, place on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Wrap unpeeled garlic cloves in foil and place on tray next to zucchini.
- Roast zucchini and garlic for about 20 minutes, until both are soft.
- Drain zucchini and place it in your food processor. Add roasted garlic by squeezing it from the skin. Add tahini, lemon juice, salt and cumin and process until well mixed.
- Serve with your choice of toppings and sides.