Devilled eggs are one of those foods that look very retro but come and go in waves. According to Wikipedia, they date back to ancient Rome (!)
Devilled eggs are hard-boiled eggs that are cut in half. The yolks are mixed with binding agents such as mayonnaise and placed back into the egg white cavities. They are mostly a party food but are also wonderful for picnics, as a snack or as part of a meal when paired with veggies.
If you can get your hands on good quality spicy mayonnaise (such as Primal Kitchen chipotle lime mayo), you only need a couple of ingredients to make magic happen. This recipe is gluten-free, dairy-free, ovo-lacto-vegetarian, paleo, primal, low-carb and keto. Enjoy!
2-ingredient devilled eggs
- 6 eggs
- 2 tbsp spicy mayonnaise (I used Primal Kitchen chipotle lime mayo)
- Steam eggs for 10 minutes. Cool down under cold running water. Place them in a bowl of cold water until they have cooled down completely (about 10 minutes).
- Peel eggs and split in half.
- Scoop out yolks and place in a bowl.
- Mash yolks with a fork, mix with mayonnaise.
- Pipe or spoon yolk mix back into egg halves.
- Serve in a platter.