I’ve been using this awesome recipe for roasting chicken for the past few months. It’s simple and fool-proof, and it gives you the flexibility of using any spices you want. I often use a mix of rosemary and sage salts or a mix of rosemary and lemon salts. This time I used a mix of Moroccan spices and paired it up with cinnamon-y pumpkin and broccolini. Delicious!
Fragrant roasted chicken with cinnamon pumpkin and broccolini
- 1 chicken (pastured if possible)
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp ground paprika
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 small butternut pumpkin
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1 bunch broccolini
- Preheat oven to 220°C (200°C fan-forced).
- Mix the spices to season the chicken. Place it in a cast iron pot (lid off).
- Roast chicken with the legs toward the back of the oven. If you have an instant read or probe thermometer, the thickest part of the thigh should measure 74°C. This should take 75-90 minutes depending on the size of your chicken.
- Peel and cube pumpkin.
- Place in a baking sheet, season with cinnamon and salt and drizzle with melted coconut oil.
- Roast until soft (yes, you can do it while the chicken cooks), it should take 25-30 minutes.
- Steam. Serve with chicken and pumpkin.
If you need nutrition advice, click here to check out our range of available services.