HelloFresh meal kits were the first available in Australia. They continue to be quite popular among people looking for easy delicious recipes to make at home.
This German was founded in 2011 and hit the Australian market back in 2012. They are also present in the US, the UK, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Sweden, France, New Zealand and Canada.
HelloFresh meal kits
HelloFresh offers three base plans: classic, veggie and family. The classic and veggie plans can be set up for 2 or 4 people, the family plan is for 4 people. For each of them you can choose from 3, 4 or 5 meals per week.
Price per meal
The price per meal, including shipping, is in the graph below.
The following tags will help you identify which meals to choose:
- Customer favourite
- Dinner to lunch: these allow you to add extra ingredients to make extra portions for lunch
- Fresh & fast
- Low Calorie
- Naturally Gluten-Free
- Not Suitable for Coeliacs
If you have selected the classic plan, you can add the following preferences to your box:
- Naturally Gluten Free
- No Pork
- No Fish
- No Pork or Fish
- Low Calorie
- Fruit boxes are available for extra $19.95
- Students get 40% discount on their first box + 10% discount on every box subscription for 12 months
My HelloFresh meal kits experience
- There’s a good variety of meals to choose from
- Not many gluten-free low-carb options (my preference)
- Some options (e.g. those tagged as “gourmet”) incur extra charges
- Recipes are colour/shape coded, it’s not as easy to find the right bag for the right recipe
- All recipe items (except for meat/dairy) are in a sealed bag. This includes canned items, seasonings and produce that does not need to be refrigerated, which, in my opinion, should be sent separately.
Recipes and instructions
- Recipes are easy to follow
- Some recipes came in a different format, I wonder if they have changed their layout recently and haven’t updated old batches
- They send an update card if there are any last minute substitutions
Taste and portion size
- All the recipes were delicious, no complains here
- Portion sizes were very generous
For more general information about meal kits, check out this post.
For more information about HelloFresh and to save 40% in your meal kit plan click here.
If you need nutrition advice, click here to check out our range of available services.