Estofado de pollo is one of those dishes that I used to hate as a kid and now I crave when homesickness kicks in. I think the main reason I dreaded it was that my mum or aunties cooked it too often.
I think mum has forgotten my aversion to estofado because she didn’t tease me when I asked for her recipe last time I spoke to her. Turns out that her recipe is simpler than what I imagined, and I managed to make it taste virtually the same. Except that now I like it 🙂
Estofado de pollo
- 2 tbsp ghee or oil
- 1.85 kg chicken drumsticks
- 1 red onion minced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1.25 cups chicken broth
- 1 large carrot sliced
- 2 medium potatoes diced
- 0.5 cup frozen peas
- salt and pepper
- Heat the ghee or oil in a pot. Season the chicken drumsticks with salt and pepper and brown. Reserve.
- Lower the heat, add more ghee or oil if needed and cook the onion and garlic for 5-10 minutes until very soft and translucent.
- Add the tomato paste, chicken, chicken broth, carrot and potatoes. Stir, cover and cook until the chicken is done, about 20-30 minutes.
- Add the peas and check the seasoning.
- Serve with white rice and/or vegetables.
If you need nutrition advice, click here to check out our range of available services.