This is a different spin on new year’s resolutions, inspired by Gretchen Rubin. If you are keen on testing new stuff and/or building new healthy habits in the new year, here is a list of 20 things to try in 2020.
Food and nutrition
- Eat a new fruit, vegetable, legume, nut or seed every month.
- Eat with friends or family at least 3 meals per week.
- Cook a meal at least once a week.
- Try a new cuisine.
- If you eat meat, buy it from an ethical butcher such as Feather and Bone or The Ethical Farmers.
- If you drink, do Dry July or Ocsober. If you don’t, give up something you like for a month (it can be chocolate, coffee, social media, Netflix, etc.).
- Try something you don’t like and see if your tastebuds have changed. Pro tip: don’t cook it yourself, leave it to the experts.
- Do a 24-hour (or longer) fast once.
- Eat more foods that match your genetic heritage.
- Move your body every day. Exercise counts, swimming counts, walking counts.
- Try a new sport or fitness class. Bonus points if it’s something you are scared of.
- Stretch often.
- Sit less, stand and walk more. If you have a desk job but don’t have a standing desk, try to stand up while taking calls or talking to coworkers.
- Wake up at the same time every day for a week or two (and see how you don’t die).
- Stop looking at your devices one to two hours before going to bed.
- Set an alarm to go to bed.
- Learn to meditate and do it often.
- Learn to breathe deeply and do it every time you get angry or anxious.
- Watch a movie, listen to a podcast or read an article with a point of view different from yours. You don’t need to change your beliefs, the point of this is to exercise your critical view and challenge your confirmation bias.
- Close the tap while you are brushing your teeth or applying shampoo/soap in the shower.
If you need nutrition advice, click here to check out our range of available services.