This is my first attempt to make a gluten and dairy-free version of the classic Peruvian dish ají de gallina (I posted a more traditional recipe here). Considering the original version contains bread, milk (evaporated!), and Parmesan cheese, this wasn’t an easy task.
I used pecan meal instead of bread, coconut cream instead of milk and celery salt to compensate for the lack of the Parmesan’s umaminess. The result was good, obviously not as good as to fool someone who has tried the real deal, but hopefully, I’ll get there eventually.
Gluten and dairy-free ají de gallina in the slow cooker
- 700 g chicken breast
- 1 1/4 cups chicken stock
- 1 red onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/4 tsp ají amarillo or any other yellow chili, to taste
- 1/4 cup pecan meal
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 3/4 tsp celery salt
- black pepper
- 1 boiled egg
- 4 black olives
- Place chicken breasts and stock in slow cooker.
- Top chicken with onion, garlic, chili, celery salt, pepper, and pecan meal.
- Cook on low for 4 – 5 hours.
- Shred chicken with two forks, add the coconut cream, stir and cook for 20 more minutes with the lid off.
- Turn slow cooker off, mix in the chopped pecans, and adjust seasoning.
- Serve garnished with an olive and half a boiled egg.
If you need nutrition advice, click here to check out our range of available services.