These smashed potatoes and roasted garlic chimichurri are great as a side dish, as part of a grazing table or on their own as a snack. This recipe is gluten-free, dairy-free and vegan.
The secret to golden, crunchy potatoes is to cook them twice and smash them in between. I used Spud Lite lower carb potatoes but you can use any waxy potato you like. This recipe will make extra chimichurri, which you can store in a jar in the fridge. You can eat it with steak, lamb chops, eggs, octopus, etc.
Smashed potatoes with roasted garlic chimichurri
- 750g potatoes
Roasted garlic chimichurri
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 cup parsley leaves
- 2 tbsp thyme leaves
- 2 tbsp rosemary leaves
- 1/4 red capsicum
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp red chilli flakes
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Wrap garlic clove in foil and roast until soft (15-20 minutes in a moderate oven, about 180°C). Remove from foil and squeeze out of skin in a bowl.
- Leave the oven on and crank it to 200°C. Place a baking tray or sheet in the oven.
- Finely chop herbs and add to the bowl.
- Finely chop capsicum and add to the bowl.
- Add olive oil, vinegar, chilli and salt and mix well.
- Peel and cube potatoes. Place in a pot with water and salt and bring to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes, then drain water with the help of the lid. With the lid on, give potatoes a few vigorous shakes. This will create some bruised edges and bits and pieces that will become brown and crunchy.
- Place potatoes on baking paper or foil on the hot baking tray or sheet. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve potatoes with chimichurri on the side or on top – your choice.
- Store leftover chimichurri in a jar in the refrigerator.