These Mexican baked beans with eggs are an easy and affordable breakfast, brunch or anytime vegetarian meal.
Using canned tomatoes and beans make this recipe quick, convenient and affordable. If you don’t have pinto beans you can substitute black or red kidney beans.
Speaking of convenience, I use a ready-made spice mix (Mexican spice mix from Spice and Co) but you can use another brand, just look for Mexican or taco seasoning. If you can’t find any or prefer to make your own, the ingredients in the spice mix I use are: paprika, chipotle chilli, chillies, cumin, coriander, oregano, onion, garlic, cinnamon, sea salt and pepper.
This recipe has a stove-top and an oven step. You can use a single oven-safe pan or transfer the contents to a different vessel (or vessels, like in the photo) for the oven step.
The recipe calls for chopped onions that are cooked as part of the recipe, however if you have caramelised onions in the fridge (which you should!), you can bypass this step.
You can add cheese for extra flavour but the recipe is quite tasty and satisfying without it as well.
This recipe is gluten-free and dairy-free if made without the cheese. It is high in fibre and has a good amount of protein per serve.
Mexican baked beans with eggs
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 small onion chopped
- 1 can whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 can pinto beans
- 1 tsp Mexican spice mix
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup coriander leaves
- 4 slices cheese (e.g. tasty or extra tasty) optional
- salt and pepper
- hot sauce optional
- toast, tortillas or corn chips
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Heat oil in a pan at low-moderate heat and cook onion until soft (10-15 minutes). You can bypass this step if you have pre-cooked onions as mentioned above.
- Chop, crush or process tomatoes to your desired level of chunkiness.
- Rinse beans.
- Add tomatoes and beans to the onion. Add seasoning and salt, stir and simmer for 5 minutes. Take off the heat and add half of the coriander leaves.
- If your pan is not oven-safe, transfer mix to an oven-safe vessel (or multiple smaller vessels).
- If using cheese, distribute them evenly in the pan and sink them halfway through the bean mix.
- Use a spoon to make 4 indentations and crack one egg in each.
- Bake until egg whites are set and yolks are still runny (10-15 minutes). You can test the doneness of the whites by shaking the pan while watching for excessive jiggling.
- Season eggs with salt and pepper, garnish with the rest of coriander leaves and serve with hot sauce if desired and your choice of toast, tortillas or corn chips.
If you need nutrition advice, click here to check out our range of available services.