I don’t crave bread often but when I do it’s usually in relation to childhood memories. Among other sandwiches, we grew up eating triple, which is very popular back home although there’s nothing typically Peruvian about it. Its name refers to the three different fillings that are separated by four (FOUR!) slices of bread. Yep, Peruvians eat lots of carbs, that’s why we’re all “doughy”, as Robb Wolf would say.
I’ve come across a couple of great commercially-available bread options that we use once in a while. One of them is protein bread, that is gluten-free and low carb. The good news is that we haven’t noticed any ill effects from the whey or pea protein it contains. The complete list of ingredients is: water, egg white, whey protein, golden flax meal, pea protein, almond meal, gluten-free baking powder, chia seeds, linseeds, sea salt, kibbled black pepper, caraway seeds, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, pepitas, and cinnamon. It tastes pretty good, is very filling and is sturdy enough to make sandwiches.
Triples in protein bread
- 1 Roma tomato
- 2 hard-boiled eggs
- 1/2 avocado
- 2-3 tbsp mayonnaise (preferably home-made)
- 8 thin slices protein bread
- pepper (optional)
- Peel, seed and chop the tomato, put in a bowl.
- Peel and chop the eggs, put in a separate bowl.
- Peel and chop the avocado, put in a separate bowl.
- Season the tomato, eggs and avocado with salt (optional pepper) and mayonnaise.
- Make two sandwiches by layering bread, avocado, bread, egg, bread, tomato, bread. Normally you would cut off the edges but I like the seeds that come with the protein bread. Cut each sandwich diagonally in half and enjoy.
If you need nutrition advice, click here to check out our range of available services.