Pumpkin is one of my favourite ingredients for soup because it’s versatile, cheap and easy to work with. This spiced roasted pumpkin and zucchini soup is a perfect example of a simple and economical dinner you can make on a weeknight.
This soup is naturally gluten-free and can be made vegan if you use dairy-free yoghurt and vegetable stock.
Add a source of protein (e.g. boiled eggs, lentils or chickpeas) to round off the meal.
Spiced roasted pumpkin and zucchini soup
- 1/2 butternut pumpkin
- 2 medium zucchini
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- Unsweetened yoghurt
- Coriander leaves
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced).
- Peel and cube pumpkin, slice zucchini. Place in baking trays lined with wax paper. Bake until soft, 30-40 minutes.
- Place veggies, seasoning and stock in a food processor or blender. Process until smooth.
- Check seasoning and serve with yoghurt and coriander leaves.