Also known as Palta a la reina, palta rellena is a classic Peruvian entrée. I do not know much about its origin but it’s a fairly popular dish, particularly in restaurants offering set menu weekday lunch deals (aka “menú”). My version is heavier on the filling, which means it makes a decent-sized lunch.
- 1 avocado
- 1 small potato
- 1 small carrot
- 1/4 cup peas (fresh or frozen)
- 1/2 small chicken breast, cooked and cooled (you can use leftover roast chicken in a pinch)
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise (I used Primal Kitchen mayo)
- salt and pepper
- lettuce leaves, to serve
- Peel and dice potato and carrot. Steam until fully cooked, 5 to 7 minutes. Add peas and steam for 2 more minutes. Let vegetables cool down.
- Shred chicken with 2 forks.
- Once vegetables are cool, mix with chicken and mayonnaise. Season with salt and pepper.
- Split avocado in half, remove the seed, scoop each half out of its shell with a spoon and place on top of lettuce. Stuff with the chicken mixture and serve.