This onion, mushroom and lentil soup is a hearty French-inspired meal for the cooler months. It’s a delicious way to get a good dose of vegetables for the day.
The main ingredients in this soup contain dietary fibre and other micronutrients such as vitamin D (mushrooms if irradiated), folate and non-haem iron (lentils). This recipe is gluten-free and vegetarian. It has some protein from the lentils but I’d recommend adding one or two eggs to make it more satiating.
Onion, mushroom and lentil soup
- 1 brown onion, sliced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 200 grams mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 ½ cup cooked or canned lentils
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- Heat butter and oil in a medium pot or saucepan at low-medium heat.
- Add onion, season with a pinch of salt and cook until very soft and caramel colour, stirring often.
- Add mushrooms and continue cooking for another 5 minutes, stirring to coat with the fat.
- Add stock and lentils and bring to the boil.
- Season with thyme, optional salt (if your stock doesn’t have any) and pepper.
- Optionally, give it a blitz with a stick blender to make it chunky.
- Garnish with parsley and serve with toasted bread.
#recipe #onion #mushroom #lentil #soup #glutenfree