These tasty snacks are called lamington bliss balls because they share two key ingredients with the Australian iconic cake: chocolate and coconut. As they are not real lamingtons, you don’t have to wait until the next Australia Day to make or eat them :).
The hardest step of this recipe, besides melting the chocolate, is waiting for the chocolate to dry. These lamington bliss balls are gluten-free and can be made dairy-free/vegan depending on the chocolate you choose. Enjoy!
Lamington bliss balls
- 150g (about 1 1/2 cups) almond meal
- 3/4 cup pitted dates
- 75g dark chocolate (min. 70% cacao)
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
1. Soak dates in hot water for 10 minutes. Drain and place in a food processor with the almond meal.
2. Process until it forms a smooth large ball.
3. Roll into small balls.
4. Melt chocolate in a double boiler (a bowl placed on top of boiling water) or in the microwave at 15 seconds intervals and stirring in between.
5. Place shredded coconut in a bowl or plate.
6. Using a toothpick, skewer or fork, stab a ball, dip it into the melted chocolate and then into coconut. Repeat with all the balls.
7. Let dry and store in the fridge in an airtight container.