There are a million recipes to make chilli con carne and I can’t say mine is better nor more authentic (I’m Peruvian, not Mexican! nor American!) but I can definitely say it is pretty tasty.
Once again I’ve used Feather and Bone’s fabulous organic mince with organs (super food!) to make it extra nutritious.
You can serve it in any of the traditional ways: with rice, in nachos, topped with shredded cheese, sour cream, guacamole, etc. I like to serve it with vegetables (e.g. steamed or roasted broccoli and/or cauliflower), topped with coriander, avocado and a squeeze of lime juice. However you decide to serve it, I hope you enjoy it.
Chilli con carne
- 1 tbsp ghee or olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1-2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 500 g organic beef mince with organs or regular beef mince
- 1 tbsp chipotles in adobo
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup cooked black or red beans
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Heat ghee or olive oil in a pot.
- Add onion, garlic, cumin, coriander and smoked paprika. Cook for a couple of minutes, stirring often.
- Add mince and break down with a spoon, allowing it to brown.
- Add chipotles in adobo, tomatoes, beans and stock.
- Add oregano by rubbing it between your hands to break the leaves. Season with salt and pepper, stir.
- Cover pot and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Uncover pot and continue cooking for another 15 minutes or so, to allow chilli to thicken.
- Garnish with coriander and serve with veggies, avocado and a squeeze of lime juice.
If you need nutrition advice, click here to check out our range of available services.