If you love mashed potatoes but can’t or won’t eat dairy, this vegan mash recipe is for you. Even if you’re partial to traditional mash, you should give this version a go.
People wanting to veganise the classic potato mash, which often contains butter, cream and/or milk, will use margarine and non-dairy milk instead. However, there is a better (read: healthier and tastier) way of doing it! A good vegetable stock (homemade or otherwise) and extra virgin olive oil add a ton of flavour and a silky texture to the mash.
- 600 g potatoes
- 1/3 cup vegetable stock
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Wash potatoes (do not peel!) and place in a pot of cold water.
- Bring potatoes to a boil and cook until tender (test the biggest one with a sharp knife introduced in the middle).
- Drain and let cool down enough to handle.
- Peel potatoes and place in the same pot or a bowl.
- Mash using a potato masher or a potato ricer.
- Heat up vegetable stock (or make it in hot water if using cubes or powder), add to the potatoes and mix well.
- Add extra virgin olive oil and salt, mix well and adjust seasoning to taste.
If you need nutrition advice, click here to check out our range of available services.