Let me introduce you to lomo saltado‘s cousin, tallarín saltado de pollo. Both dishes came to life thanks to the fusion that happened due to the large influx of Cantonese people in Perú between mid 1800s and early 1900s. They share the same core ingredients: beef, tomato, red onion, soy sauce, vinegar, garlic, with the main difference being the starch: rice and potato chips in the case of lomo saltado and noodles in the case of tallarín saltado
Yes, I know I said one of the core ingredients of tallarín saltado is beef, but this recipe has chicken in it. This is a fairly common variant and is the one I grew up eating at the Japanese-Peruvian club we were members of. I also find it easier to make with a conventional stovetop, making good stir-fried beef requires a level of heat that is difficult in most homes.
For this recipe, I used a pack of San Remo pulse pasta that I grabbed at the Gluten Free expo. I will be reviewing the pasta later, so I won’t say much here. You can use any type of long pasta for this dish, e.g. flat rice noodles.
One last thing, the “criollo” bit of the name is to differentiate between this version of the dish and the one you typically find in chifas (Chinese restaurants), which is closer to the stir-fried noodle dish most people are familiar with.
Tallarín saltado de pollo criollo (Peruvian stir-fried noodles with chicken)
Yield: 3 servings
- 1 pack gluten-free spaghetti (I used San Remo pulse pasta)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 500g chicken breast or thigh fillet, sliced
- 1 red onion, cut in thick slices
- 2 tomatoes, cut in wedges
- 6 green onions, cut in 3cm pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1cm piece ginger, minced or grated
- 2 tbsp tamari or gluten-free soy sauce
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- Cook pasta according to pack instructions. Drain and reserve.
- Heat oil in a wok or large saucepan at high heat. Add chicken.
- When chicken is fully cooked, add red onion and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add tomatoes, green onions, garlic and ginger. Cook for another couple of minutes.
- Add pasta and sauces, mix well and serve with a side of vegetables.