Roasted fennel and lentil salad with radishes and citrusy dressing is a great dish for lunch or dinner. Its protein and fibre content will satisfy your appetite without packing on too much energy.
This recipe is gluten-free and dairy-free and can be made vegan by omitting the eggs. Just make sure you are having enough protein in your day. This salad is also a great source of fibre.
Lentils contain haem (plant-based) iron, which is less bioavailable than haem (animal-based) iron. Its absorption is enhanced if you have vitamin C or haem iron in the same meal, hence the lemon juice in the dressing. Other citrus options such as orange or grapefruit would work equally well.
Roasted fennel and lentil salad with radishes, rocket and citrusy dressing
- 1 medium-large bulb of fennel
- 4 cups rocket or baby rocket
- 1 bunch radishes
- 1 can lentils
- 4 eggs
- drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 lemon zest and juice
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp white wine vinegar
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced).
- Chop fennel in thick wedges, roughly chop fronds and reserve. Place fennel in a baking tray, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast until soft and browned, about 20 minutes.
- Slice radishes, place them in a bowl and sprinkle with salt.
- Rinse and drain lentils.
- Cook the eggs to your liking (soft-boiled, hard-boiled or poached).
- When fennel is ready, drain the radishes and arrange all salad ingredients in bowls or plates.
- Whisk all dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Pour over salad and adjust seasoning. Top with reserved fennel fronds and enjoy.
If you need nutrition advice, click here to check out our range of available services.