These quinoa & mixed beans vegan bowls are inspired by Latin American food. Like the quinoa & lentil bowls, these are packed with plant-based protein, iron and fibre. The capsicum and lime provide vitamin C, which your body needs to absorb the non-haem iron. You will also get some healthy monounsaturated fats from the olive oil.
These bowls taste great warm but can also be eating straight out of the fridge if you have leftovers. If you’re a vegetarian or omnivore, feel free to add or substitute part of the protein with other foods such as boiled eggs, cheese, tuna, smoked salmon or poached chicken.
One final note: I have specified the time it takes to make the bowls from scratch but you can speed up the process by using pre-cooked quinoa.
Quinoa & mixed beans vegan bowls
- 1/2 cup raw quinoa any colour
- 1 1/2 cups canned beans
- 1/2 small red onion
- juice of 1 1/2 limes
- 1 bunch broccolini
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 small capsicum any colour
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped coriander leaves
- 1 small chilli optional
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- freshly ground black pepper
- Thinly slice onion and place in a bowl with lime juice.
- Drain quinoa and place in a pot with 2 cups water. Let boil and simmer until fluffy (about 15-20 minutes).
- Rinse and drain beans.
- Chop broccolini in pieces and steam until al dente.
- Wilt baby spinach using the residual heat from steaming the broccolini.
- Seed and chop capsicum.
- Mix quinoa, beans, onion, broccolini, baby spinach, capsicum and most of the coriander (reserve some for garnish).
- Season with olive oil, salt, cumin and pepper, mix well.
- Serve in bowls topped with chilli (if using) and reserved coriander.
If you need nutrition advice, click here to check out our range of available services.