Papa rellena pie is a casserole dish similar to shepherd’s or cottage pie with a Peruvian twist. Papa rellena (stuffed potato) is a typical Peruvian dish consisting of a mashed potato “dough” stuffed with a beef mince filling.
The original papa rellena is shaped like a rugby ball and deep-fried. Instead, this version in pie format is baked similar to other mash-topped dishes, saving you oil, hassle and extra calories from fat.
As many other Peruvian dishes, papa rellena is usually served with rice and salsa criolla. I like to serve mine with salad instead of rice and splash some hot sauce on top.
The filling is made with the classic Peruvian aderezo (Peruvian soffritto) of onion, garlic and chilli, in this case ají panca (Peruvian red chilli paste). If you don’t have any, you can substitute chipotles in adobo (which are slightly easy to find) or tomato paste with a pinch of smoked paprika.
Papa rellena pie
- 750 g potatoes
- 1 large egg
- salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp ají panca paste see substitutions above
- 500 g beef mince
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp sultanas
- 4 kalamata olives halved
- 2 boiled eggs quartered
- salsa criolla
- Peel and cut potatoes in large chunks. Place in a pot with water and some salt. Bring to a boil, cover and cook until tender.
- While the potatoes cook, heat olive oil in a pan at medium-low heat. Add onion and cook for a few minutes, until it starts to get translucent.
- Add garlic and ají panca, cook for another 5-10 minutes until very soft, stirring often.
- Raise heat to medium-high, add mince and cook until completely browned.
- Season with salt, pepper and cumin. Add sultanas and turn off the heat.
- Preheat oven at moderate temperature.
- Mash the potatoes, season with salt and pepper. Whisk egg and mix with mash.
- Layer beef mixture in a roasting pan. Scatter olive and boiled egg pieces evenly. Top with mash and spread evenly.
- Bake until the top is golden brown, about 20-30 minutes.
- Slice and serve with salsa criolla and salad.
If you need nutrition advice, click here to check out our range of available services.