A few weeks ago my Facebook status reflected how I missed avocados from back home, after opening one I bought for $1 at Woolworths that was horrible inside. A few Peruvian friends chimed in, including Victor who lives in Spain and can buy Peruvian avos there, and Gino who lives in the Central Coast and mentioned palta rellena con camarones (stuffed avocado with prawns). The craving was on.
Palta rellena is a great warm weather entrée. It’s basically a mayo-bound salad served in a half avocado. The most popular protein of choice in the filling is pulled chicken (chicken breast that has been boiled and pulled in strips with a fork). It’s usually mixed with peas and/or carrots and/or corn and/or potatoes. After ditching the legume, grain and nightshade I was left with carrots. I figured out celery and broccolini stalks would be nice additions thanks to their crunchiness, freshness and mayo-affinity.
Palta rellena con camarones
- 3 avocados
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 bunch broccolini stalks (use the florets in another dish) or asparagus chopped
- 15 – 18 medium prawns peeled and cleaned
- 2 tsp ghee or butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- salt and pepper
- Steam carrots and broccolini stalks or asparagus separately. Let cool.
- Heat ghee or butter, add garlic and prawns. When cooked, let cool down.
- Reserve 6 prawns and chop the rest.
- Mix vegetables and prawns, add mayonnaise, season with salt and pepper.
- Split avocados in half, remove the seed, scoop each half out of its shell with a spoon and place on a plate. Stuff with the prawn mixture and top with a whole prawn.
If you need nutrition advice, click here to check out our range of available services.