Eggplant, beef & mushroom casserole is the perfect winter dish. It is not only warming and comforting, but it also contains a lot of veggies and good quality protein.
I used organic mince with organs from Feather and Bone, but you can use regular beef mince. Feel free to add whatever vegetables you have lying around in your fridge. If you don’t do dairy, it tastes wonderful without the cheese, too.
Eggplant, beef & mushroom casserole
- 1 large eggplant sliced
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 200 g speck or bacon sliced
- 500 g beef mince or mince with organs
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks finely chopped
- 200 g mushrooms sliced
- 1 can peeled or chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup red wine + 1/4 cup beef stock or 1/2 cup beef stock
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 200 g baby spinach
- 200 g cottage cheese
- Place sliced eggplant in a colander and sprinkle with salt. Leave for about 20 minutes to draw water out of it.
- Heat a large pan. Add oil and speck or bacon, stir and cook for 5-10 minutes.°°
- Add beef mince, stir until fully cooked.
- Add onion, carrot and celery, stir and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Add mushrooms, stir and cook for 10 more minutes.
- Add peeled or chopped tomatoes (break them down with a wooden spoon if whole), red wine and/or stock, salt and pepper. Stir and cook until liquid has evaporated.
- Turn off heat, mix in baby spinach and check seasoning.
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced).
- Shake excess water and salt from eggplant. Line baking tray with half of the eggplant. Add half of the meat sauce.
- Add another layer of eggplant and cover with the rest of the sauce.
- Spoon cottage cheese on top and bake for 20-30 minutes.
If you need nutrition advice, click here to check out our range of available services.