These carrot and orange muffins are a healthy treat you can bring to your next picnic. They also make a great alternative to store-bought muffins and cakes.
Keeping with Nutrition Australia’s Try For 5 campaign, this recipe can help you sneak in some carrots to your daily intake. Make sure you also try the purple sweet potato brownies recipe from last week.
These muffins are free of gluten and added sugars. They do contain butter but you could use oil to make them completely dairy-free.
The basic recipe does not call for any spices but you can add a pinch of any of all the following spices, which work well with both carrot and orange: cinnamon, cardamom, ground ginger, cloves (don’t overdo).
Carrot and orange muffins
- 1 large carrot
- 1 large egg
- juice and zest of 1/2 orange
- 50g salted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 3-4 tbsp natural sweetener
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Pop 6 liners in muffin tray.
- Peel and grate carrot.
- Whisk egg in a medium bowl. Add grated carrot, orange juice and zest, and butter. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, mix almond meal, sweetener and baking powder.
- Mix wet and dry ingredients, pour into muffin liners and bake until the top is brown and a skewer or chopstick inserted in the middle comes out clean (15-20 minutes).