As I said before, one of the reasons I started this experiment was to find out how quickly I can go back to my original weight category in the (unlikely) event that I decide to enter a weightlifting competition. I got my answer on round 5: 37 days. See the stats below for more details.
- Lost 9mm off my waist, 1cm off my hips, 5mm off my thigh, and 500g.
- My digestion was better than in the previous shift.
- The swelling issue from the previous shift started to resolve.
- My energy and sleep were normal.
- I PR’d on snatch (+1kg) even though my hip flexor was still in recovery mode.
Carnitas and coleslaw for 5S
My version of ploughman’s lunch, a typical 5S quick meal
Vietnamese salad, one of my go-to 3S lunches
Round 5 (5 shift):
- Lost 1.6mm off my waist, 5mm off my hips, 1cm off my thigh, and 2.4kg.
- Compared to baseline, the numbers were: 2.8cm off my waist, 2.2cm off my hips, 2cm off my thigh, and 3.1kg. This is the leanest and lightest I have been during the experiment.
- I was super lean and started to see the shape of my abs.
- I was able to wear pants that were too small until the previous round.
- My digestion got back to normal.
- My hip flexor was still tender, but didn’t prevent me from training.
Egg & olive salad (recipe here)
View this post on Instagram
Brunch: burgers, bacon, mayo, hot sauce and kimchi on a bed of lettuce. Burgers were seasoned with onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, porcini powder, s&p, cooked medium. #paleo #primal #glutenfree #grainfree #realfood #jerf #altshift #5shift #postworkout #lowcarb
Round 5 (3 shift):
This was the first time I put AltShift on hold. I travelled to the Gold Coast for a 3.5-day Buddhist course, which fell on the entire 3 shift. I was tempted to make it work but we were eating out with friends and having drinks at night, so I decided it was easier to eat paleo-friendly the whole time. I also stopped tracking my intake, which means I ate more than I needed. My activity was limited to prostrations (a form of physical meditation) in the morning and some walking on the beach, and to and from shops.
- My digestion was wrecked from too much food and some of the crap I had (chips, alcohol), even though the majority of my intake was pretty clean.
- I didn’t measure again but I could see my body getting fattier around the middle.
- Too much sitting and not enough movement made my hips more stiff.
- I didn’t get sick but my throat was slightly sore on the last couple of days.
To be continued…
If you’re interested in learning more about AltShift, head to 30kview.com.
If you need nutrition advice, click here to check out our range of available services.