Call it classic or call it cliche, beetroot and goat’s cheese are meant to be together. This roasted beetroot, goat’s cheese and pistachio salad is great for sharing or eaten as a main meal with a little extra protein. Good options include eggs (your way), lentils, tuna, salmon (smoked or canned) and grilled chicken.
If you don’t have the time or patience to roast the beetroot, you can use the pre-packed cooked variety.
Roasted beetroot, goat's cheese and pistachio salad
- 4 cups mixed leaves
- 2 medium beetroot
- 2 medium or 4 small gherkins
- 100g chevre (goat’s cheese)
- 1/4 cup parsley or mint leaves
- 1/4 cup shelled pistachios
- drizzle caramelised balsamic or balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced).
- Wrap the beetroot in foil and place on a tray in the oven until tender, about 40 minutes.
- When cool enough to handle, peel beetroot and chop coarsely.
- Chop gherkins and herbs.
- Arrange mixed leaves, beetroot, gherkins and chunks of cheese on plates or a platter. Sprinkle with herbs and pistachios. Drizzle with balsamic and olive oil and season with salt to taste.