These quinoa, lentil & beetroot vegan bowls are a tasty meal packed with plant-based protein, iron and fibre. The dressing contains lemon to provide vitamin C, which your body needs to absorb the non-haem iron. You will also get some healthy unsaturated fats from the olive oil and seeds, and calcium mainly from the tahini.
These bowls taste great warm but can also be eating straight out of the fridge if you have leftovers. If you’re a vegetarian or omnivore, feel free to add or substitute part of the protein with other foods such as boiled eggs, cheese, tuna, smoked salmon or poached chicken.
One final note: I have specified the time it takes to make the bowls from scratch but you can speed up the process by using pre-cooked beetroot and/or quinoa.
Quinoa, lentil & beetroot vegan bowls
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbps tahini (preferably unhulled, e.g. Honest To Goodness)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- freshly ground black pepper
- Wrap beetroot in foil and roast in a moderate-temperature oven until tender (about 45 minutes).
- While the beetroot cooks, place quinoa in a bowl and rinse several times, stirring with your fingers, until the water runs clear.
- Drain quinoa and place in a pot with 2 cups water. Let boil and simmer until fluffy (about 15-20 minutes).
- Rinse and drain lentils.
- Tear beetroot leaves with your hands and steam or sautée in a little olive oil.
- When beetroot is ready, peel and cube.
- Mix quinoa, lentils, beetroot, beetroot leaves and most of the parsley (reserve some for garnish).
- In a small bowl or jar mix dressing ingredients. Stir through quinoa mix.
- Adjust seasoning, serve in bowls topped with mixed seeds and reserved parsley.