Budin de pan is the Peruvian version of bread and butter pudding. It’s an economical dessert commonly made in bakeries with leftover bread.
This is not a light dessert by any stretch of imagination. It’s energy dense and hearty and falls in the “comfort food” category for many people, including me. I used natural sweetener (stevia) instead of sugar to make it a little lighter and less sweet than the original version.
I used Woolworths Free From gluten-free sliced white bread but any bread (stale or not) will do. You can use bread rolls but be mindful that there will be more crust-to-crumb ratio in the final product.
To soak up the bread I used The Complete Dairy full-cream milk. I have never made budin with non-dairy milk but my guess is that any substitute would work fine.
Budin de pan
- 550 g sliced bread
- 120 g sultanas soaked in hot water for 15 minutes
- 1 litre full cream milk
- 4-6 tbsp natural sweetener
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- zest of 1 orange
- 4 eggs
- 40 g butter
- maple syrup optional
- Chop bread into chunks, place in a large bowl.
- Soak sultanas in hot water for 15 minutes, drain and reserve.
- Heat milk in a pot with spices, sweetener, vanilla and citrus zest. Don’t let boil.
- Pour milk on bread and let sit for 30 minutes.
- Break bread down with a wooden spoon (or your hands).
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Boil a kettle of water.
- Whisk eggs and add to bread mixture, mix well.
- Melt butter and add to bread mixture, add sultanas and mix well.
- Pour mix in a loaf pan, place pan inside a roasting tray. Place tray in oven and carefully pour boiled water in the tray. Ideally it should go up about half the height of the pan.
- 10. Bake until a chopstick or skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. This should take 50-70 minutes depending on your oven.
- 11. Unmould, slice and serve with maple syrup if you wish. You can eat it warm but I like it better at room temperature or cold out of the fridge.
If you need nutrition advice, click here to check out our range of available services.