Much like brownies, there are different kinds of banana bread. Some people like them dense; while some enjoy the cakey, airy variety. This gluten-free banana bread falls in the second category and is great either fresh or toasted.
Besides being gluten-free, this banana bread does not contain any added sugar. The riper the bananas you use, the sweeter the bread will be. Having said that, if you are used to commercial banana breads, you might want to add a drizzle of maple syrup or honey on top prior to eating. Of course, toppings are optional, we usually enjoy ours with butter but peanut butter is also a great option.
If you prefer a lower carb banana bread, check out my recipe for peanut butter protein banana bread.
Gluten-free banana bread
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1/4 cup melted butter salted
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 3/4 cup almond meal
- 1/4 cup rice flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 180 C (160 C fan-forced).
- In a food processor, mash bananas. Add melted butter and the eggs one by one, mixing well after every addition. Add vanilla essence and give it another mix.
- In a bowl, mix almond meal, rice flour, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon. Mix the dry ingredients with the wet ones (either by pulsing in the food processor or by hand with a spatula).
- Line a loaf pan with baking paper and pour batter in it.
- Bake for about 40 minutes or until it feels firm to the touch at the middle of the loaf.
- Turn off heat and let cool down 10 minutes in oven and then outside on a cooling rack covered with a tea towel.
- Enjoy fresh or toasted.